Beginning the week of January 29, 2024, the State Department will launch this voluntary program for approximately 20,000 eligible participants who meet the requirements listed in the Federal Register. The program will allow eligible applicants to renew an H-1B visa in the United States, without the need to travel to a U.S. consulate abroad.
To be eligible for domestic visa renewal, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Their prior H-1B visa that is being renewed was issued by Mission Canada with an issuance date from January 1, 2020, through April 1, 2023; or by Mission India with an issuance date of February 1, 2021, through September 30, 2021.
- They are not subject to a nonimmigrant visa issuance fee, commonly called a “reciprocity fee,” based on their country of citizenship.
- They are eligible for a waiver of the in-person visa interview requirement.
- During a previous visa application, they submitted ten fingerprints to the State Department.
- Their prior visa does not include a “clearance received” annotation.
- They do not require a waiver of visa ineligibility.
- They are the beneficiary of an approved and unexpired H-1B petition.
- Their most recent admission to the United States was in H-1B status.
- They are currently maintaining H-1B status in the United States and have a valid, unexpired H-1B I-94 form.
- They intend to reenter the United States in H-1B status after a temporary period abroad.
Click the link for more information.